American Sign Language Interpreter near Richmond, VA
Under direction, interprets/transliterates spoken language using American Sign Language or other manual sign system, and vice versa, to facilitate communication between hearing and deaf/hard of hearing individuals; serve as a liaison between deaf/hard of hearing students, hearing students and instructors; and perform related work as required. The ideal candidate a valid certification from the RID; or an EIPA score of 3.5 or higher. They are looking to interview and hire quickly!
The Sign Language Interpreter serves deaf/hard of hearing students using American Sign Language or other manual sign system in classrooms and lecture halls, during films, counseling and tutoring sessions, school related meetings, activities, District events and as needed for urgent situations such as those involving District Police or Health Services. If this position sounds like a good match for you, send an updated professional resume to Jessica Williams ([email protected])!
- American Sign Language (ASL) or other required sign language systems, including appropriate signs, vocabulary and cultural or regional variations;
- Cultural customs and boundaries related to deaf and hearing interactions.
- EIPA minimum score 3.5 or Certification by Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID)
- Interprets lectures, discussions, announcements, conversations, meetings, events, and other spoken word situations using manual sign system appropriate for the language and the cultural background of deaf/hard of hearing students and staff.
- Accurately Interprets deaf/hard of hearing students’ signs into fluent English for other students, faculty, and college staff.
- Directs the work of agency interpreters within interpreting venue to ensure compliance with standards and policies.
- Provides feedback for new interpreters, and participates in mentoring peer interpreters for skill development.
- Works with faculty and college departments to gain understanding of relevant concepts to better facilitate translation for deaf/hard of hearing students.
- Provides information and orientation to deaf/hard of hearing students in emergency situations.
- Works effectively in teams with other sign language interpreters.
- Maintains certification by completing continuing education units required by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID).
- Adheres to the RID Code of Professional Conduct.
- May utilize technologies to transcribe speech to text in classroom and other settings.
- Full-time Position (Monday-Friday)
- On-site, W-2 contractor position
- We offer medical, dental, vision, life and disability plans as well as 401k with employer match
For more information on this position, contact Jessica Williams at [email protected]
Recent SLI Jobs
- Yelm, WA
- Columbia, SC
- Atascadero, CA
- Yelm, WA
- San Miguel, CA
- West Palm Beach, FL
- Hopewell, CA
- West Palm Beach, FL
- Fort Wayne, IN
What are you looking for in your next job?
Posting your resume on SLIJobs.com is Free! Submit your resume and be on your way to gaining the exposure you need to find your next sign language interpreter teacher job.