Sign Language Interpreter Needed For School District Near Rayville, Louisiana
As a Sign Language Interpreter in Rayville, LA, your primary responsibility will be to facilitate effective communication between individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing and those who use spoken language. You will play a crucial role in bridging the communication gap and ensuring equal access to information, services, and opportunities for the Deaf community in the area.
Interpretation Services: Provide high-quality sign language interpretation services in a variety of settings, including but not limited to educational institutions, medical facilities, government agencies, business meetings, community events, and social gatherings.
Communication Facilitation: Effectively convey spoken language messages into American Sign Language (ASL) and vice versa to ensure clear and accurate communication for Deaf individuals.
Cultural Awareness: Demonstrate a deep understanding and appreciation for Deaf culture, customs, and unique communication needs. Sensitize hearing participants to the Deaf culture and advocate for inclusivity.
Confidentiality and Professionalism: Uphold strict confidentiality regarding all interpreted information, adhering to professional standards and ethical guidelines of the interpreting profession.
Preparation: Conduct pre-interpreting research when possible to familiarize yourself with specific terminology or concepts related to the setting or subject matter.
Team Collaboration: Collaborate effectively with other interpreters, if required, to facilitate seamless communication in complex or lengthy situations.
Adaptability: Be flexible and adapt to various environments, interpreting styles, and individual preferences while maintaining accuracy and professionalism.
Continuous Learning: Stay updated on the latest developments in sign language, interpreting techniques, and Deaf culture through workshops, conferences, and professional development opportunities.
Technology Utilization: Utilize appropriate technology, such as video relay services and remote interpreting platforms, to accommodate the changing needs of the Deaf community.
Advocacy: Be an advocate for accessibility and the rights of Deaf individuals, promoting equal opportunities in all aspects of life.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL) and English, both receptive and expressive.
- Certification: Possess relevant certifications such as the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) certification or similar qualifications based on state requirements.
- Education: A degree in Sign Language Interpretation, Deaf Studies, or a related field is highly preferred.
- Experience: Previous experience as a professional sign language interpreter in diverse settings is an advantage.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated understanding and respect for Deaf culture and the ability to adapt interpreting styles accordingly.
- Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills with a strong ability to convey complex messages accurately and concisely.
- Professionalism: Uphold a professional demeanor, punctuality, and reliability in all assignments.
Pay will be determined by school's salary schedule.
To apply complete the online application or submit a copy of your resume directly to [email protected]
Not a match? Continue your search below.
Recent SLI Jobs
- North Hollywood, CA
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Reading, PA
- Erie, PA
- York, PA
- Abbottstown, PA
- Green Springs, PA
- Studio City, CA
What are you looking for in your next job?
Posting your resume on SLIJobs.com is Free! Submit your resume and be on your way to gaining the exposure you need to find your next sign language interpreter teacher job.